Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What to do with this damn chicken: Wednesday 5

Its Wednesday again and I have pulled out the damn chicken. It is also cold  and rainy outside and I am in the mood for some comfort food. A while back, Amanda H. gave me a recipe that I have been hanging onto for the perfect day. I think today is that day! 

This is a recipe made for the slow cooker which, means it is fairly hands off and I am all about hands off cookin today!  Let it be known that I do not intend to emerge from my blanket nest for very long. And NO, I am not watching soap operas people!  Let me know what you think.



       Spicy Chicken Stew

  • 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 (10oz) package frozen corn
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 onion thickly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 (12.5oz) jar of salsa
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chile powder
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 skinless boneless chicken breast, halved
  • 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs (I use another chicken breast instead for this)
  • 2 ½ cups chicken broth
  • 4 fresh corn tortillas cut into strips

Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in slow cooker.  Stir in salsa, salt, cumin, chile powder and pepper.  Distribute chicken evenly on top of vegetables and pour chicken broth over chicken.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. (I think you could start this in the  morning on low and it would be done when you got home from work)!

Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with forks into chunks, return to slow cooker.  Mix tortilla strips into stew.


Love,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment