Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taco Tuesday Creative Moment: Shamrock Shirts

Cute St. Patty's shirts!
I got crafty again, and after my husband told me I couldn’t spend any money this time, I had to get creative with what I already had. I wanted to make something for St. Patty’s day for my little girl. I try to get the kids a little something for the small holidays just so they know I thought about it. After buying my Jedi a giant shamrock cookie, I needed to do something for my mouse.

So, I went through my heaping plastic bin of crafting things and I thought of an idea. I would make her a shirt for school since, 1. She doesn’t have anything green. 2. I will be leaving for vacation without the kiddos on St. Patty’s day and I am feeling guilty. 3. I don’t have the heart to let her get pinched all day by anyone but me. 

After going through my fabric scraps I found some zebra stripped fabric and some polka dot scraps that I could use. Really, anything would work since I added the green later. Here is what happened next….


Caveat…I spent $5 on a solid white shirt at Old Navy. (Sorry Hubby, nothing is completely free!)


1.       I found a clipart on-line of a shamrock that I printed out and cut out. 

2.       I traced the Shamrock onto a piece of HeatBond (iron on fabric paper) which is found at all craft stores, Wal-Mart, etc. 

3.       I ironed the Heatbond that I traced, onto the backside of my cute fabric (pre-washed). You will want to follow the direction on the package as all of them might vary a little.  Sorry, I don't know what happened to my pic here.

4.       Then once the Heatbond is stuck to the backside of your fabric you can cut along your traced shamrock. 

5.       Now, you can peel the paper backing from your Heatbonded Shamrock and iron it (printed side up)onto the prewashed t-shirt.  Again, no pic of me ironing and peeling but I think you can manage.

6.      Hello cute shirt with Shamrock attached to it!

7.       I then loaded my sewing machine up with some lime green shinny thread and sewed a thick embroidery stitch around the outside of the Shamrock. You could also hand sew this with embroidery thread for a thick look without a sewing machine. Totally up to you and your patience. 

8.       Once I was done sewing around the outside of the shamrock, I was done and so I decided to make a matching bow for my Mouse’s hair. I also hot glued a couple little rhinestones to the stem since she loves the sparkles! So fun and ready to wear. Cant you see it with a fluffy green skirt or some black leggings?


9.       Easy Peazy Lemon Squeezy! You can do this with any picture for any holiday or something your child loves. I think I will do an owl next for my little owl lover, maybe with some button eyes!


Happy Taco Tuesday!

Love,

1 comment:

  1. Michele..so cute. I will be by later to pick up one for Em..jk! I am home with a little sick one and might have to do this myself. Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete