Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Canning Jar Lights

I recently got a new table for my back yard that was passed down from a friend of the families, who made it prior to passing away last year. I put the table in the back yard and soon after my children begged to have dinner out there, I realized I needed some light!  I saw an idea similar to this in the Pottery barn magazine using Milk bottles and decided to make my own spin. Definitely not Pottery Barn material but, I was happy. This is where I got the blue fingers.








Steps:
1. Purchased 5 indoor/outdoor light cords at Ikea for $7













2. found a case of 12 Kern Mason jars in the larger size at Walmart for $9














3. Used a large drill bit that would cut about a half dollar sized whole in the medal cap of the jar. Cut holes in 5 jar lids. i'll be honest, hubby did this part.













4. Found translucent outdoor glass paint at Michaels in a green/gold color and painted the outside of a few jars, $7. I did a bright blue also and it didn't look the way I wanted so I don't think I will go with that. I liked the green because it reminded me of the antique canning jars that were made this color













5. I screwed about 5 jars to the cord fixtures and hung them above my table. I had to play with the placement as to doing more of a tight bunch of lights or more of a grape cluster. Get the hubby to hang them from a plant hook and attach an extension cord to a socket for power. Turn on and be wowed.














Cute right? well, I liked my low budget creation anyway. I'm thinking of taking fabric to make a cozy to hide the cords or something.



Happy Taco Tuesday!

Love,

15 comments:

  1. That's really cute! Mine would never turn out that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these!!
    and your Easter brunch (for dinner) looked amazing . . . i have to try your bloody mary recipe, too (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo sooo cute! I am doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the lids have a clean, finished look to them when drilled with the hole saw bit? I tried these using my dad's old drill and it chewed up the mason jar lid. Could you ask your hubby what he did to drill through the lids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, but could you explain the part about the 5 cords and how or where did they plug in to?
    is there a special outlet for outdoors? I don't think i could 5 to be together
    Just wondering before I attempt this
    thank you so much, and yes I love the green color.
    Lynn Zawojski Derry nH

    ReplyDelete
  6. This I want to try! Now you can buy the blue reproduction mason jars. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like your design style.Keep it up your good work

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also wondering how to plug all 5 cords in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are the directions for making the mason jar string lights, like are in the picture?
    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, how about the string of lights pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you string the jars onto the cord?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's better to Buy a sting of heavy duty outdoor Christians lights. Make the hole in the lid the size of the socket. Use a new bit and go slow. Put socket through hole then put bulb back in. Then you only have to deal with one plug. If you want different colors use multi colored lights or go all white. Use colored jars, paint, or even tissue paper and modge podge the outside of the jar in multiple colors in the same family or completely rainbow. you can even use puff paint to make awesome 3D decoration, henna designs and even add gems or glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking about doing this with portable soda pop bottles and using a string of solar lights i just think that would be easier. I made a string with plastic easter eggs for the tree last year and everyone loved it so much i just keep um out they do look kool

    ReplyDelete