Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What to do with this damn chicken: Wednesday

If you are anything like me you have countless amounts of untouched chicken breasts, whole chickens, thighs, or otherwise, in your freezer. If you have a Costco membership you more than likely have overflowing amounts of chicken breasts!  Here is the deal folks, I hate to cook chicken, I pull it out as some kind of ritualistic obligation and immediately loose all sense of creativity and just think... BLAH!

It has to be done though, we have to break thought the barriers of the chicken blues and actually cook it with something more than BBQ sauce every now and again.  Lets face it, there has to be another way to cook chicken that my whole family will come to appreciate. My poor children think that all chicken comes fried and in a nugget form. Bad mommy! I don't force them to eat it any other way because, frankly, I don't want to either.  Thus, I am going to change!

The other thing is that i am trying to go organic, so chicken is not cheap and definitely not to be wasted.  If you buy it at Costco you know you are probably still saving but at the same time spending a pretty penny. If you are living in the Sacramento area and need another place to buy your organic meats I will make a shameless plug. My husbands longtime friend from Chico now owns a ranch where he raises and sells organic chicken, beef and pork. If you are interested in going in on some meats as a group or getting a sample for yourself you can check them out at Barbarosa Ranchers and talk to John Raftery.

To help a girl (and the occasional guy) out, I will try to post a fun and interesting chicken recipe every Wednesday. 

The following is from my old college buddy Jenny who knows a thing or two about cooking for her family which includes 4 year old twin girls.  If she can get her kids to eat it, im willing to give it a try!

Feta Chicken

  •  chicken breasts
  •  1 package feta cheese plain 
  •  Italian dressing (I use the make it yourself Good Seasonings mix)
  •  salt and pepper to taste
  •  olive oil 2TBS
Heat oil in big frying pan

cut a pocket in chicken breasts and fill with feta
coat both sides of chicken with salt and pepper to taste
with heat on high sear chicken in frying pan 2-3 min a side
reduce heat to simmer/low and add Italian dressing (usually I make a lot so I use 3/4 of the bottle, cover and let cook for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness of breasts.  Turn chicken twice.

Super yummy and super easy. Really good with mashed potatoes :)


Enjoy!

Love,



2 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I am so the same way with chicken. Looking forward to trying your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also google smitten kitchen--an awesome blog with amazing recipes! and such a good idea to buy local meat that you know has been treated humanely and is organic! yay you!

    ReplyDelete